Monday, January 7, 2008

Running Background Process (Oracle Export or Import)

Every time I run an Export or Import in oracle there is always a fear that I might close the window and cancel the process. And believe me it’s not easy or fun to start a process that takes 6-12 hrs. (Not to mention ppl who are ready to kill me).

Any way here is an easy and reliable way to run Export or Import in UNIX.

All you need is to define the text file and a script to execute.


Export.txt
------------

userid=[User ID of the user you going to Export]
filesize=[How much you want the Dump file to be Eg:2000MB]
file=[Names of the Dump files…..Eg:DUMP_1.dmp,DUMP_2.dmp……]
log=[Name the log file …Eg:export.log ]
consistent=n
compress=y
rows=y
indexes=y
..
..
..
..
TABLES=[Names of the table you want to Export]


Note: for more details on Oracle Export check my previous post…[Link]


ExportScript.sh
-------------------
nohup exp parfile=export.txt


That’s all you need, now you need to run the script that’s it….and to check your progress you “more” the nohup file that will be generated after running the script.
For import also you can do the same thing just need to change the text file. (Yah I Know I haven’t post about Oracle Import, but going to post about it soon)

This might not be the best detailed tutorial about this, any way hope this help you get started. =ELK=

No comments: